Monday, July 13, 2009

Weekend update v#1: Damn those Japanese!

Finally got to spend a weekend fighting online in BlazBlue. However, thanks mostly to the timezone I'm in, I'm facing alot of Japanese players. Now before we continue let me point out one very important fact (a fact so important, I believe it is equal to 42), that fact is, Japanese players are good.

Now let me first quantify what "good" means in the context of 2d fighting games. Remember that guy from highschool, the one who did well in the basketball team, who used to make fun of your dorky glasses and who made it with all the chicks. Well if "basketball" were "2d fighting games" then that guy would be the ones that the Japanese pick on for being a fat loser before going out in search of some real competition. The japanese are so good that for most top tier non-Japanese players, simply not getting beat up badly by the japanese at a competition is an achievement in itself.

Off course, I'm not saying that I did badly, in fact, I was able to chalk up more than a few wins myself. In my first match on Saturday, my Ragna (typical white-haired [i]bishounen[/i] boy with a big ass sword) proved to be a very good match against some other guys Jin (pretty younger brother who wants to stick his longsword into his older brother). A good start if I do say so myself, I even saved the replay (a memento of my first). The next few matches also went quite well, getting myself a couple of wins against higher leveled players and bumping my ranked battle level up to 6. Then the really good players started pouring in, guys level 30 and above (I was in quick match on ranked, meaning no level restrictions). In match against one such player, my Ragna was immediately turned into a human scratching post by a very adept Taokaka (faceless catgirl/lethal joke character) player. It really hit me that I was out of my league when my opponents launched me into the air and kept me there until we hit the end of the screen and fell. More losses followed after that, all to japanese players ranked way higher than me.

On Sunday, I fared a bit better since I got to fight some non-japanese players who were closer to my level in ranked. That off course, was little consolation when the eventual Japanese player would come along and totally destroy me - one annoying v-13 (cyborg girl/SNK Boss) player who zoned me the entire match, keeping from doing even the most basic of combos comes to mind.

In the end, I topped out at level 9. Probably would have gotten more levels had I fought more matches (BlazBlue doesn't count losses against your level or rankings, only wins), however I had other things to do and my connection was getting a bit slow. I did get to fight a few friendly matches against another Filipino on PSN (KenProvido, who also kicked my ass) however my connection to PSN got cut at one point (still not sure if it was an issue with PSN or with my internet) so I took this as a hint to stop.

All in all, it seems that my initial efforts at BlazBlue online weren't exactly ideal thanks to getting myself beat by the Japanese. Despite this however, I'm not really that discouraged. In fact, I figure some good competition from the Japanese will actually do me some good as I'm going to be forced to up my game and get to their level of skill. Still doesn't mean I'm not annoyed though.

No comments:

Post a Comment